Different pow wows have different rules and regulations which they follow to govern their celebration. Some are old and have been in place for hundreds of years, while others may be fairly new and are in a constant state of modification. Here are the general rules and regulations for pow wow singers, also known as drum groups.
1. All singing groups must be eligible for prize money.
2. All singing groups must be seated 10 minutes before the Grand Entry.
3. All singers will sing with their assigned groups only. No Drum Hopping. No Exceptions.
4. There will be no fewer than three (3) singers per drum, and no more than 10 per drum.
5. The decision of the Dancing and Singing Contest Judges shall be final in all events.
6. Important: Singers under the influence of alcohol or drugs will result in disqualification of that singing group for that session.
7. Intertribal Singing: All singing groups shall be required to limit their songs; 4-2 or straight 6. Should a participant use a whistle for a particular singing group, they will be permitted to continue singing.
8. Whistles: Participants shall be limited to three whistles per singing group or drum. Note: It is a tradition that individuals who use the whistles are required to donate to the singing group that is singing.
9. During contest songs, singing groups shall be required to limit their songs to 4-2 or straight 6, except for trick songs, which can be used except during the final dancing competition.
10. Should singing groups not comply with all rules and regulations, they will lose 20 points.