Saginaw Grant (born Morgan Saginaw Grant) is a respected member of the Sac-n-Fox,Iowa and Otoe-Missouria Nations. He is a a Native American actor, traditional dancer, and motivational speaker.His most recent role was in The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp.
On July 20, 1936, Saginaw Morgan Grant was born to Sarah and Austin Grant Sr. at Pawnee Indian Hospital in Pawnee, Oklahoma. He was raised on a farm in Cushing,Oklahoma with two brothers and one sister.
Having a traditional upbringing by both parents, Saginaw was especially influenced by his grandparents. His grandpa Kirvin was a strong medicine man and his other grandpa Saginaw (whom he is named after) was also a very spiritual man. They taught Saginaw their customs,culture, and traditions and the importance of this way of life. As a result, Saginaw witnessed many special ceremonies and events taught to very few.
As a young adult, Saginaw experienced all the situations both good and bad every young person faces in today’s society. Yet he overcame the obstacles that challenged him, and with that he took his courage to become the man he is today.
In high school, he attended Ponca Military Academy in Ponca City, Oklahoma.
He is an United States Marine.
During his life in Oklahoma he took on employment in various industries such as dry cleaning, also gaining knowledge and a better understanding in the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and other vocations in which he enjoyed interacting with people. This gave him the opportunities to hear different philosophies, beliefs and religions.
Grant said he never endeavored to be an actor. One day in the ‘80s, Grant was speaking at a seminar near San Francisco. A man approached him and asked if he’d like to play a role in a car commercial. Saginaw took the role and he’s been acting ever since.
He resides in the Southern California area, where he is called upon for counseling, lectures, and family events, while also pursuing his acting career.
Saginaw Grant’s most recent role was in The Lone Ranger, with Johnny Depp. He played Chief Big Bear in the 2013 film. The same year, he appeared as a Native American man who sells his truck to Walter White in the Breaking Bad episode “Ozymandias.” Grant has appeared in numerous films and television shows.
- 1988 War Party– Freddie Man Wolf
- 1996 Small Time– The Holy Man
- 1999 Grey Owl– Pow Wow Chief
- 2002 Legend of the Phantom Rider– Medicine Man
- 2004 Black Cloud– Grandpa
- 2005 Social Guidance– Red Hightower
- 2005 The World’s Fastest Indian– Jake
- 2007 Beyond the Quest– Apparition
- 2007 Slipstream– Eddie
- 2009 Maneater– Stanley Hipp
- 2009 Walking on Turtle Island– Catches the Bear
- 2013 Winter in the Blood– Yellow Calf
- 2013 The Lone Ranger– Chief Big Bear
- 2016 The Red Man’s View – Chief Great Eagle (pre-production)
- 1993 The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles- episode – The Mystery of the Blues – Grey Cloud
- 1993-1994 Harts of the West- 15 episodes – Auggie
- 1996 The Last Frontier- episode – The One with the Friends’ Theme – Alaskan
- 1997 Nash Bridges- Ol’Larry/1 episode
- 1997 Stolen Women: Captured Heartss- Chief Luta/TV movie
- 1997 Baywatch- Eyes That See At Night/1 episode
- 1999 Purgatory- Gatekeeper/TV movie
- 2002 Auf Wiedersehen, Pet- Medecine Man/3 episodes
- 2002 Skinwalkers- Wilson Sam/TV movie
- 2003 Miracles- Most Respected Elder/1 episode
- 2003 DreamKeeper- Old Medecine Man/TV movie
- 2005 The Fallen Ones- Joseph/TV movie
- 2005 My Name is Earl- Dakota/1 episode
- 2007 Saving Grace- Mudwa/1 episode
- 2011 American Horror Story- Tribal Elder/1 episode
- 2012 Eagleheart- Saginaw/1 episode
- 2013 Family Tree- White Feather/1 episode
- 2013 Piper’s QUICK Picks – episode – Lone Ranger Awesomeness! Jerry Bruckheimer, Chad Oman & Saginaw Talk Silver & American Indians! – Himself – guest
- 2013 Breaking Bad- Native American Man/1 episode
- 2014 Shameless- Great Grandfather/1 episode
- 2014 Community- Chief Blue Sky/1 episode