Indian Territory Boarding Schools

782 Views

The first Indian Territory Boarding Schools opened in 1872, and some are still in operation at present. Learn about the history of American Indian boarding schools.

 

Absentee Shawnee Boarding School, near Shawnee, Indian Territory, was  open in 1893.

Arapaho Manual Labor and Boarding School, Darlington, Indian Territory opened in 1872 and paid with by federal funds, but run by the Hicksite (Liberal) Friends and Orthodox Quakers. It was moved to Concho Indian Boarding School in 1909.

Armstrong Academy, near Chahta Tamaha, Indian Territory

Asbury Manual Labor School, near Eufaula, Creek Nation, Indian Territory, open 1850–1888, was ran by the United Methodist Missions.

Bloomfield Female Academy, originally near Achille, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory. Opened in 1848 but relocated to Ardmore, Oklahoma around 1917 and in 1934 was renamed Carter Seminary.

Burney Institute, near Lebanon, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory was open 1854–1887, when the name changed to Chickasaw Orphan Home and Manual Labor School. It was operated by the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.

Cameron Institute, Cameron, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory was open from 1893–to the early 20th century. It was operated by the Presbyterian Church.

Cantonment Indian Boarding School, in Canton, Indian Territory, was  run by the General Conference Mennonites from September, 1882 to 1 July 1927.

Cherokee Female Seminary, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory was open from 1851 to 1910.

Cherokee Male Seminary, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory was open from 1851–1910.

Cherokee Orphan Asylum, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory opened in 1871.

Cheyenne-Arapaho Boarding School, Darlington, Indian Territory opened in 1871 and became the Arapaho Manual Labor and Boarding School in 1879.

Cheyenne Manual Labor and Boarding School, Caddo Springs, Indian Territory, opened 1879 and was paid for with by federal funds, but was run by the Hicksite (Liberal) Friends and Orthodox Quakers. It moved to Concho Indian Boarding School in 1909.

Chickasaw National Academy, near Stonewall, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory was open about 1865 to 1880.

Chickasaw Orphan Home and Manual Labor School (formerly Burney Academy) near Lebanon, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory open 1887–1906.

Chuala Female Seminary (also known as the Pine Ridge Mission School), near Doaksville, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory open 1838–1861. It was run by the Presbyterian Church.

Colbert Institute, Perryville, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory open 1852-57 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Collins Institute, near Stonewall, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory Open about 1885 to 1905.

Creek Orphan Asylum, Okmulgee, Creek Nation, Indian Territory opened in 1895.

Darlington Mission School, Darlington, Indian Territory run by the General Conference Mennonites from 1881 to 1902.

El Meta Bond College, Minco, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory, open 1890–1919.

Emahaka Mission, Wewoka, Seminole Nation, Indian Territory open 1894–1911.

Euchee Boarding School, Sapulpa, Creek Nation, Indian Territory open 1894–1947.

Fort Coffee Academy, Fort Coffee, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory Open 1840–63 and run by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Fort Sill Indian School (originally known as Josiah Missionary School), near Fort Sill, Indian Territory opened in 1871 by the Quakers, remained open until 1980.

Hillside Mission School, near Skiatook, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory open 1884–1908 by the Quakers.

Iowa Mission School, near Fallis, Iowa Reservation, Indian Territory open 1890–93 by the Quakers.

Jones Academy, Hartshorne, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory/Oklahoma Opened in 1891.

Koweta Mission School, Coweta, Creek Nation, Indian Territory open 1843–61.

Levering Manual Labor School, Wetumka, Creek Nation, Indian Territory Open 1882–91, operated by the Southern Baptist Convention.

Mekasukey Academy, near Seminole, Seminole Nation, Indian Territory open 1891–1930.

New Hope Academy, Fort Coffee, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory Open 1844 –96 and run by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Nuyaka School and Orphanage (Nuyaka Mission, Presbyterian), Okmulgee, Creek Nation, Indian Territory, 1884–1933.

Oak Hill Industrial Academy, near Valliant, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory Open 1878–1912 by the Presbyterian Mission Board. The Choctaw freedmen’s academy was renamed as the Elliott Academy (aka Alice Lee Elliott Memorial Academy) in 1912.

Oak Ridge Manual Labor School, near Holdenville, Indian Territory in the Seminole Nation. Open 1848–60s by the Presbyterian Mission Board.

Osage Boarding School, Pawhuska, Osage Nation, Indian Territory open 1874–1922.

Park Hill Mission School, Park Hill Indian Territory/Oklahoma opened 1837.

Pawnee Boarding School, Pawnee, Indian Territory, open 11 November 1878 – 22 May 1958.

Pine Ridge Mission School, near Doaksville, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory see Chuala Female Seminary.

Quapaw Industrial Boarding School, Quapaw Agency Indian Territory open 2 September 1872 – 1900.

Rainy Mountain Boarding School, near Gotebo, Kiowa-Comanche-Apache Reservation, Indian Territory, open 1893–1920.

Red Moon School, near Hammon, Indian Territory open 1897–1922.

Sac and Fox Boarding School, near Stroud, Indiant Territory, open 1872–1919 by the Quakers.

Sacred Heart College, near Asher, Potowatamie Nation, Indian Territory open 1884–1902.

Sacred Heart Institute, near Asher, Potowatamie Nation, Indian Territory open 1880–1929.

St. John’s Boarding School, Gray Horse, Osage Nation, Indian Territory open 1888–1913 and operated by the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions.

St. Mary’s Academy, near Asher, Potowatamie Nation, Indian Territory open 1880–1946.

St. Louis Industrial School, Pawhuska, Osage Nation, Indian Territory open 1887–1949 and operated by the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions.

St. Mary’s Boarding School, Quapaw Agency Indian Territory/Oklahoma open 1893–1927.

St. Patrick’s Mission and Boarding School, Anadarko, Indian Territory open 1892–1909 by the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions. It was rebuilt and called the Anadarko Boarding School.

Sasakwa Female Academy, Sasakwa, Seminole Nation, Indian Territory open 1880–92 and run by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Seger Indian Training School, Colony, Indian Territory.

Seneca, Shawnee, and Wyandotte Industrial Boarding School, Wyandotte, Indian Territory

Sequoyah High School, Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory

Shawnee Boarding School, near Shawnee, Indian Territory, open 1876–1918.

Spencer Academy (sometimes referred to as the National School of the Choctaw Nation), near Doaksville, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory open 1842–1900.

Sulphur Springs Indian School, Pontotoc County, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory open 1896–98.

Tullahassee Mission School, Tullahassee, Creek Nation, Indian Territory opened 1850 burned 1880.

Tullahassee Manual Labor School, Tullahassee, Creek Nation, Indian Territory open 1883–1914 for Creek Freedmen.

Tushka Lusa Institute (later called Tuska Lusa or Tushkaloosa Academy), near Talihina, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory opened 1892 for Choctaw Freedmen.

Tuskahoma Female Academy, Lyceum, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory open 1892–1925.

Wapanucka Academy (also sometimes called Allen Academy), near Bromide, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory Open 1851–1911 by the Presbyterian Church.

Wealaka Mission School Wealaka, Indian Territory open 1882–1907.

Wewoka Mission School, (also known as Ramsey Mission School) near Wewoka, Seminole Nation, Indian Territory Open 1868–80 by the Presbyterian Mission Board.

Wetumka Boarding School, Wetumka, Creek Nation, Indian Territory Levering Manual Labor School transferred from the Baptists to the Muscogee (Creek) Nation in 1891 and they changed the name to the Wetumka Boarding School. Operated until 1910.

Yellow Springs School, Pontotoc County, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory open 1896–1905.