- The role of Fort Leavenworth in Nez Perce History
- Senator McCain's record on Indian gaming is complicated
- Beauty and Balance in Turquoise
- Pope plans to make California priest a saint: Is he a Saint or sinner?
- Smallpox, war and American Indians
- String of teenage suicide attempts turning into epedemic
- Utah’s Navajos are leading a push to create the Bears Ears National Conservation Area
- Government returns confiscated eagle feathers to tribal religious leader after 9 years
- Consensus Classification of California Indian Languages
- Indigenous Languages Spoken in the United States by Location and Number of Fluent Speakers
Cherokee language lesson: It Fits
- Hits: 1553
AUTHOR: Bo Tayolor
Cherokee language study with emphasis on the Eastern dialect or the Giduwa dialect. Includes sound recordings.
In this lesson you will learn about the Cherokee words for IT FITS.This is an interesting word because it can have a dual meaning in that it
can be talking about the size fitting or it can talking about something
looking good upon a person or coordinating with something.
It Fits Me.wav
It fits me.
It Fits You.wav
It fits you.
It Fits Him.wav
It fits him.
Does it fit me.wav
Does it fit me?
Does it fit you.wav
Does it fit you?
Does it fit him.wav
Does it fit him?
Note: I used the other question marker on this phrase so that you can see
that there are other ways to make a question.
This coat fits me.wav
This coat fits me.
Hi-a ga-sa-le-na ha-gi-li-lo-hv-s-ga
Hi- ga-sa-le-n ha-gi-li-lo-hv-s-ga
(This) (coat) (fits me)
About the Author:
Bo Taylor serves as Archivist for the Museum of the Cherokee Indian. He is an enrolled member of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indian. Mr. Taylor has a Bachelor of Science degree in Anthropology with a minor in Cherokee Studies from Western Carolina University. He can read and write in the Cherokee language. Mr. Taylor gives lectures on the history of the Cherokee Indian, performs traditional Cherokee dances, and dances at Native American Pow-wows.
Visit the Official Cherokee web site for student lesson plans, Cherokee stories, the latest Cherokee news, and extensive Cherokee cultural information.
The official Cherokee Font is available here.